Thursday, May 1, 2008

Heartbroken

Something happened to me today, something I would call a little strange and quite if not extremely coincidental. I sat down at my desk early in the afternoon to begin writing an article I had been thinking about for a while now. I have wanted to write about the subject of heartbreak for quite some time. I wanted to discuss the feelings and emotions that we often associate with heartbreak so that maybe I could achieve a better understanding of the term. As I sat in front of my computer screen I began to write, but it just didn’t feel right. It felt like something was missing, like I was writing just for the sake of writing and it didn’t mean anything. I had a good day today and I was feeling fine so I didn’t quite understand what it was that was keeping me from fully expressing myself. I decided it might be better to take a break and give it another shot later on. I spent the rest of the day basically doing nothing other then attempting to find ways to mildly entertain myself.

It’s late in the evening now and I am just about getting ready to climb into bed. As I was about to lay myself down I decided I would turn the old computer on and take another crack at that article. When the computer finished its loading process I noticed I had received an instant message from a friend of mine. I read the message. My friend wanted to tell me that she had not had a good day, that she had been feeling really down and wanted to talk. Naturally I messaged her back and asked why; her reply was surprising to say the least. She told me that she had just broken up with her boyfriend of two years and was feeling the pain; actually the word she used was “heartbroken”. I was stricken for a moment. Can something like that happen purely coincidentally? It made me think about what I believe in and I came to realize that I don’t really know what I believe in. I wondered how many other people shared this conundrum with me. Do we really need something to believe in or can we just float around within our own spirituality and never really come to any firm belief? I think many of us unconsciously need a firm belief system and some of us consciously need one. I also think that some of us don’t need one, or don’t want one for that matter. Does relying on a belief system mean that we assume we know the answers to everything? This is why I’ve always had a bit of a beef with organized religion, but that’s another topic. I apologize for my off topic rant, back to heartbreak.

When we suffer from “heartbreak” we often feel lost or left behind, at least that’s how I would describe it. I think many people would describe the feeling differently because we all connect to each other in different ways and when heartbreak happens to us it is often due to the severing of an important connection in our lives. If you’re reading this you might be wondering if there is any way to heal yourself of heartbreak or completly avoid it in the first place. Well there really isn’t. If I was a doctor and a patient came to me with a bad case of heartbreak there wouldn’t be a doubt in my mind that the only responsible thing to do would be to prescribe that patient with a healthy dose of time. Its an old saying, “Time heals everything”. Well old sayings are old sayings for a reason I guess, they’re important. Time does heal everything and in time you will feel better. The sadness and the pain of heartbreak will begin to subside in time. If you haven’t already read my article called “Memories” you may want to take a look at it as it covers some of the same topics and offers some original ideas on dealing with heartbreak and pain. As far as avoiding heartbreak, well we can’t avoid heartbreak altogether. We can try to avoid situations that may lead to heartbreak in the end but the truth is that we never really know when heartbreak will come. If we spend our whole lives avoiding situations we believe could end in heartbreak we might end up missing out on what could have been the best thing to ever happen to us. I think a much better plan would be to accept the fact that life comes with risks, and if we have to endure a little pain in order to learn something about ourselves and about life in general I think that’s a small price to pay.

So if your hurting due to heartbreak just remember that time heals, and that even if you could have avoided the situation you probably learned something valuable from it. Its not everyday life lessons are offered to us, so lets take them when they do come!

Jesse Roulette
Sewing Hearts One at a Time

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, time heals sometimes. Not always.

I´ve been an avid love-avoider for most of my life. I don´t know exactly why but I guess it´s due to several reasons: shyness, bad experience, fear, growing up with a father who served more as a poor example than a good role model, my crappy self confidence,just plain bad luck with the people I´ve met and very probable because I actually do enjoy being alone; meaning liberty to do what I want on my own terms.

I usually dump myself before the other person gets a chance to. The true heartbreaker in my life is none but myself. I would like to change my pattern but it´s not an easy task.

When lightning (love or whatever you wanna call it) strikes I run for my life! As far as time goes; some people are easily forgotten, others linger. Some people stay in your mind for a while, ...fade; just to come back in a dream six years later and hit you full force all over again. And I´m back at square one.
No, time does not heal all wounds but this time at least I know your name.